Pages

Friday, August 14, 2015

Bow-Tie Block - A Baby Quilt

Not just another baby quilt. This one is for a BOY,  and I'm not related to him. 
He belongs to a couple from church and when they told me they were expecting 
of course I jumped at another chance to make a baby-sized quilt.

This quilt is also special because I didn't use quilting cottons. 
The fabrics for this quilt are entirely 100% cotton shirts that I thrifted and washed and sliced up. 
There are lots of progress pics on my instagram so I'm just posting the finished photos on the blog.

IMG_0012

I also designed this quilt myself. Winging it means I designed it right?
I got the idea after seeing this Quilty; This Is My Quilt episode on Youtube a long time ago and have been waiting for an opportunity to co-opt the idea of using recycled cotton shirts. Baby quilts are the perfect size to experiment with new ideas. Instead of copying the inspiration quilt's design, I used a basic bow-tie block and arranged them in an "X's and O's" design. I had enough fabric left over to piece a patchwork backing (and plenty more fabric for another scrappier quilt!)

IMG_0016

I hand quilted this one using the big stitch quilting technique and DMC perl cotton thread.

IMG_0004

I love it! 

2 comments:

Crab and Bee said...

So cool. It's kind of amazing how much fabric you can harvest from a garment. You're a quilting machine!

Anonymous said...

This is really, really cool! I love that you used shirts to make it- I need to find a better thrift store in my neighborhood as our Salvation Army charges around $15 for a buttondown! I love the pattern you used and the back is so cute, too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...